Home » Composition in Two Genres

Composition in Two Genres

Brochure:

Diagram:

Genre Rationale

For the compositions of two genres assignment, I chose to make a brochure and diagram. Brochures are illustrations with informative texts that are designed to be short, vibrant, organized, and simple such that it makes it easy for readers to comprehend large amounts of information. My purpose in creating a brochure is to make it accessible for anyone to jump into the conversation whether it be climate deniers or people who are completely unaware of the issue. To put it bluntly, most people are not fond of reading lengthy research papers or reading in general, considering the many obstacles they have to overcome just to get to the central idea. Most people would even say that reading a full-length essay is a waste of time since they’re taking in the information they don’t need rather than the information they want. A good analogy would be internet search engines. Research papers are the Bing of search engines because it forces users to read through everything just to obtain the information they want. Conversely, brochures are the Google of search engines because the information users seek is shown at the front of the page in a small blurb. It’s short, quick, and concise. Despite the general fact that brochures largely appeals to everyone, I think it would be best suited for younger people considering my research topic. Younger people nowadays tend to have short attention spans, and a brochure is formatted such that it captures and maintains a reader’s attention. Most people don’t want to waste their time reading through the same thing over and over again. They’d much prefer it if they were a way to obtain the information they seek as quickly as possible in a TLDR (too long didn’t read) version. Brochures encompass that philosophy by only giving readers important information. Younger people want pictures, illustrations, and something colorful because that’s what keeps them engaged. I believe that a brochure is an effective medium where writers can convey information without boring them as it gives readers a quick rundown of all the important aspects in a few pictures and texts. 

The second genre I chose to compose is the diagram. As a preface, it’s agreed upon that most people retain information better when they visualize it as the human brain is wired to process images more efficiently than words (the main reason why I chose to make a brochure and diagram). Diagrams do exactly do. They are incredibly useful visual aids that allow readers to retain information better by breaking chunks of information into bite-size portions which makes it more digestible and easy to understand. One could even argue that diagrams and brochures are essentially the same genres considering they are both provide visuals to the reader. Although that may be true, there is one distinct feature that distinguishes the two: diagrams show planning and effects without the necessity of going in great depth compared to a brochure. The flowchart I made is straight forward as it directly tells the reader the effect of a particular action taken by world governments and it encompasses my purpose of creating a diagram: to show the effects if world government took the proper action to combat climate change and if they remained indifferent and ignored the issue. Let’s say one were to go down the path of “world governments took proper action to combat climate change”, and one step governments take is supporting the development of nuclear energy. Then benefits would include reducing logical damage, improving public health, becoming less reliant on fossil fuels, lower carbon emissions, and so on. Like a brochure, I think that diagrams target anyone because of its simplicity and that anyone can follow a flowchart. However, I believe that the diagram would be best suited for those who are already aware of the issue and seeks to get a more in-depth look at how some changes can improve or worsen the current situation. If someone who knew absolutely nothing about climate change, they may derive the fact that humanity may face the possibility of extinction without grasping the concept of the cause, current situation, attitudes of political leaders on the subject, and so forth. It’s imperative that readers are keen on the issue before looking at the diagram. Furthermore, I intended the brochure and diagram to be in conjunction with one another. Readers can read the brochure to get a basic understanding of climate change, then move onto the diagram to get a greater understanding of how world governments can improve the current situation without having to read a length research essay.